PRC-155 Manpack Radio
This product has been discontinued
General Dynamics Mission Systems is no longer producing the AN/PRC-155 Manpack radio.
The AN/PRC-155 Manpack radio is the U.S. Army’s first fielded two-channel, software defined radio that connects to the new Mobile User Objective Satellite (MUOS) network, providing soldiers with clear, smartphone-like voice communications wherever they are deployed. With two channels, the Manpack can run different waveforms simultaneously, eliminating the need for more than one radio at any location.
General Dynamics uses a common core radio architecture, software and hardware design approach for all HMS products, including the Manpack radio. Special emphasis on SWAP-C (Size, Weight and Power Cost) lightens the soldier load and maximizes battery life through efficient design and both aggressive and intelligent power management. The Manpack includes GPS for position-location applications – painting individual units on a map to help reduce fratricide and increase situational awareness on the battlefield.
- NSA certified for Top Secret and below communications
- 2-channel networking radio with embedded encryption and GPS
- Reconfigurable and interoperable with current-force and future radio platforms via a software upgrade
- Creates self-forming ad hoc networks in any battlefield scenario
- Extends the classified network beyond the path of vehicles
MUOS High Power Amplifier (MHPA)
The MUOS High Power Amplifier (MHPA) is an appliqué for the PRC-155 2-Channel Manpack radio. The MHPA replaces the standard High Power Amplifier (HPA) on either channel of the PRC-155 Manpack radio. With the MHPA attached, the PRC-155 Manpack radio becomes MUOS enabled providing a worldwide satellite-based communications capability, derived from 3GPP UMTS cellular technology. The route and retrans capability enables disparate networks, using legacy waveforms to be connected through the MUOS satellite system.
- The PRC-155 Manpack radio is the first and only fielded, two-channel tactical radio that is proven to be MUOS ready
- Crystal clear voice quality & virtually unlimited communications range
- Dial-up voice calls to any other MUOS terminal or SCIP-enabled DISN (land line) phone worldwide
- Data communications via any other MUOS terminal worldwide and access to designated SIPRNET or NIPRNET servers
- Voice and data MUOS to Legacy Waveforms Route and Retrans (bridging)
The combination of the PRC-155 Manpack radio and MHPA provides dismounted soldiers voice and data communications while “on the move” using a lightweight, low-profile antenna. There is no need to stop, setup or position special antennas.
PRC-155 Manpack Radio Datasheet
|Frequency Range||2 MHz – 2.5 GHz (banded)|
|Guard||121.5 VHF and 243.0 UHF|
|Size||236 cu. in. (378 with battery)
3.0” x 10.1” x 7.8” (without battery bucket)
3.0” x 10.1” x 12.5” (with battery bucket)
|Weight||<9 lbs. (<14 lbs. with battery)|
|Number of Channels||2|
|Waveform Support||SRW, MUOS, SINCGARS, SATCOM, WNW*,V/U LOS*, HQII*, IW*, HF SSB w ALE**|
|Presets||50 per channel|
|Max. Power Output||20 Watts
External 50 watt PAs available
|Fully Programmable COMSEC and TRANSEC
(Type 1 & Type 2)
|Multiple Independent Levels of Security (MILS)||Yes|
|Remote Control Capability||Yes|
|CIK Function, Removable||Yes|
|Retransmission, Voice and Data||Integral (2 channels)|
* Software upgradeable
**Software upgradable, requires additional hardware