PRC-155 Manpack Radio
This product has been discontinued
General Dynamics Mission Systems is no longer producing the AN/PRC-155 Manpack radio.
The AN/PRC-155 Manpack radio was the U.S. Army’s first fielded two-channel, software defined radio that connects to the new Mobile User Objective Satellite (MUOS) network, providing soldiers with clear, smartphone-like voice communications wherever they are deployed.
General Dynamics now offers our new Shadowcat Radio for squad-level communications in contested environments.
Introducing the Shadowcat Radio
Unlike typical large, brick style tactical radios, our new 8 ounce Shadowcat radio is designed for squad-level communications in contested environments.
The radio is easy-to-use and can transmit data, voice and real-time high-def video using advanced RF technology that minimizes the susceptibility to jamming and interference by adversaries.
General Dynamics uses a common core radio architecture, software and hardware design approach for all HMS products, including the Manpack radio. Special emphasis on SWAP-C (Size, Weight and Power Cost) lightens the soldier load and maximizes battery life through efficient design and both aggressive and intelligent power management. The Manpack includes GPS for position-location applications – painting individual units on a map to help reduce fratricide and increase situational awareness on the battlefield.
- NSA certified for Top Secret and below communications
- 2-channel networking radio with embedded encryption and GPS
- Reconfigurable and interoperable with current-force and future radio platforms via a software upgrade
- Creates self-forming ad hoc networks in any battlefield scenario
- Extends the classified network beyond the path of vehicles
MUOS High Power Amplifier (MHPA)
The MUOS High Power Amplifier (MHPA) is an appliqué for the PRC-155 2-Channel Manpack radio. The MHPA replaces the standard High Power Amplifier (HPA) on either channel of the PRC-155 Manpack radio. With the MHPA attached, the PRC-155 Manpack radio becomes MUOS enabled providing a worldwide satellite-based communications capability, derived from 3GPP UMTS cellular technology. The route and retrans capability enables disparate networks, using legacy waveforms to be connected through the MUOS satellite system.
- The PRC-155 Manpack radio is the first and only fielded, two-channel tactical radio that is proven to be MUOS ready
- Crystal clear voice quality & virtually unlimited communications range
- Dial-up voice calls to any other MUOS terminal or SCIP-enabled DISN (land line) phone worldwide
- Data communications via any other MUOS terminal worldwide and access to designated SIPRNET or NIPRNET servers
- Voice and data MUOS to Legacy Waveforms Route and Retrans (bridging)
The combination of the PRC-155 Manpack radio and MHPA provides dismounted soldiers voice and data communications while “on the move” using a lightweight, low-profile antenna. There is no need to stop, setup or position special antennas.
PRC-155 Manpack Radio Datasheet
|Frequency Range||2 MHz – 2.5 GHz (banded)|
|Guard||121.5 VHF and 243.0 UHF|
|Size||236 cu. in. (378 with battery)
3.0” x 10.1” x 7.8” (without battery bucket)
3.0” x 10.1” x 12.5” (with battery bucket)
|Weight||<9 lbs. (<14 lbs. with battery)|
|Number of Channels||2|
|Waveform Support||SRW, MUOS, SINCGARS, SATCOM, WNW*,V/U LOS*, HQII*, IW*, HF SSB w ALE**|
|Presets||50 per channel|
|Max. Power Output||20 Watts
External 50 watt PAs available
|Fully Programmable COMSEC and TRANSEC
(Type 1 & Type 2)
|Multiple Independent Levels of Security (MILS)||Yes|
|Remote Control Capability||Yes|
|CIK Function, Removable||Yes|
|Retransmission, Voice and Data||Integral (2 channels)|
* Software upgradeable
**Software upgradable, requires additional hardware