Commercial Aircraft Radomes
Keeping Passengers Connected
General Dynamics is capable of designing and manufacturing single and dual-band, low-reflection radomes for optimum performance of various radar systems, such as weather radar. These capabilities extend to the development and production of multi-band radomes that provide excellent cross-polarization discrimination and transmission performance across X, Ku, K and Ka-Bands for SATCOM applications.
Solving Electronically Scanned Array (ESA) Design Challenges
Designing low-profile radomes for Electronically Scanned Array (ESA) or phased array antennas introduces new challenges.
For over two decades we have designed radomes for the most advanced Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA).
Our Radome Design Approach
General Dynamics collaborates closely with our customers to choose the best design, process and materials to fit their needs for cost and performance.
Employing an extensive analytical tool set, General Dynamics is capable of coupling accurate RF performance predictions with FEA structural analysis to ensure a high integrity, optimal solution for your system needs. These tools can be applied early in the design process to aid in radome shape selection trade studies.
When radome performance matters, General Dynamics’ design experience, analytic and measurement tools and manufacturing know-how provide for low-risk, high performance radome solutions.
- Electrical (RF) design/analysis
- Structural design/analysis
- Lightning direct effects protection
- Mechanical design
- Tool design
- Material and process engineering
- High precision machining
- Radio frequency (RF) testing
- Non-destructive testing (NDT)
Radome Qualification Experience
- Material Allowables
- Static Loads
- Mechanical Shock & Vibration
- Bird Strike
- Low Velocity Impact Damage (LVID)
- Fluids Resistance
- Rain Impact/Erosion
- Lightning Protection
- Other Environmental Qualification
- Electrical (RF) Performance
- Supplemental Type Certification
- Approximately one million square feet of manufacturing space in Marion, Virginia n Indoor and outdoor RF test ranges
- Large autoclaves (up to 11 feet in diameter and 50 feet in length)
- FAA Repair Station Certification Number VQBR980L
- Thales Tri-band
- Boeing Ku
- Boeing Tri-band
In-Flight Entertainment & Connectivity
Our extensive experience allows us to apply real world knowledge to the design, qualification and manufacturing processes for successful overall system performance and minimal life cycle cost. General Dynamics has supported multiple commercial programs in obtaining STCs and holds an FAA Repair Station Certification for IFEC radomes.