National recognition reflects General Dynamic Mission Systems’ commitment to disability inclusion and equality in the workplace
Fairfax, Va. – General Dynamics Mission Systems has been recognized with a score of 90 on the 2020 Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a national benchmarking tool on corporate policies and practices related to disability inclusion and workplace equality.
The DEI is a national, transparent benchmarking tool that offers businesses an opportunity to self-report their disability inclusion policies and practices. It was developed by two national leaders, American Association of People with Disabilities and Disability:IN, in consultation with the appointed DEI Advisory Committee, a diverse group of experts in business, policy, and disability advocacy.
“General Dynamics Mission Systems is proud of our unique culture that promotes inclusion and opportunities for people with disabilities,” said Chris Hiltbrand, Vice President of People, General Dynamics Mission Systems. “We’re honored to receive this DEI Award and we remain committed to improving all workplaces by working closely with our employees and through close partnerships with companies in multiple industries.”
“No company diversity and equity program is complete without a disability inclusion strategy. General Dynamics Mission Systems prioritizes the practices of easily obtainable accommodations, workplace accessibility, recruitment, community outreach, philanthropy and volunteerism,” said Andrea Hall, senior manager for diversity and inclusion at General Dynamics Mission Systems and chairperson emeritus of Disability: IN DC Metro. “Our company recognizes the creativity and innovative thinking a diverse workforce brings to business and industry enhancing our labor-force and improving our corporate culture.”
General Dynamics Mission Systems actively supports inclusion and access for disabled employees across its workforce in a variety of key focus areas, to include:
- General Dynamics Mission Systems works with community partners to attract diverse talent to include: Disability: IN, DC Metro Disability: IN, Operation Impact: Network of Champions and the Elizabeth Dole Caregiver Foundation, along with numerous military recruiting organizations.
- General Dynamics Mission Systems works with colleges and universities to engage and hire students with disabilities; we recognize that interns and recent college graduates are the lifeblood of newly infused talent, therefore we actively build and cultivate relationships with the disability offices on the campuses where we recruit.
- General Dynamics Mission Systems participates in the American Diabetes Association’s (ADA) Tour de Cure to raise money that directly supports the ADA’s research, information and advocacy efforts to improve the lives of the millions of Americans living with diabetes.
- In honor of Military Appreciation Month, General Dynamics Mission Systems donated $50,000 to the Sentinels of Freedom Foundation, a national, nonprofit organization that provides severely wounded post-9/11 veterans with comprehensive personal support and financial assistance as they complete their higher education and achieve success in their post-military careers.
- General Dynamics Mission Systems improved access ramps, accessibility in conference rooms, and updated entry-ways with push button entry across several General Dynamics Mission Systems facilities.
- General Dynamics Mission Systems established a streamlined program for employees to request accommodations for specialized seating, desks and computer equipment.
General Dynamics Mission Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), provides mission critical solutions to those who lead, serve and protect the world we live in. We are a technology integrator and original equipment manufacturer with deep domain expertise in ground, sea, air, space and cyberspace. Headquartered in Fairfax, Virginia, General Dynamics Mission Systems employs more than 12,000 people worldwide. For more information about General Dynamics Mission Systems’ broad portfolio of capabilities, visit gdmissionsystems.com and follow @GDMS on Twitter and LinkedIn.