Senior Manufacturing Engineer
- Marion, VA, USA
- Required Clearance
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Remote Option
- On-Site Full-Time
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems, Inc.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or a related Science, Engineering or Mathematics field. Also requires 2+ years of job-related experience or a master’s degree. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable amount of time after hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
ROLE AND POSITION OBJECTIVES:
As a Senior Manufacturing Engineer for Military Radomes, you’ll be a member of a cross functional team responsible for supporting production through building clear and informative build documentation, implementing and collaborating on projects to improve manufacturing methods, and solving complex production issues to get these extremely important products into the hands of our customers and end-users for mission-critical operations.
- Experience processing composite materials (primarily hand lay-up) highly desired
- Works with program team to ensure all technical requirements are being met for the customer
- Responsible for engineering content, cost, schedule, performance on the program
- On new development programs interface with all engineering disciplines and other functions during product development phase through production startup
- Work closely with Operations during production transition to establish process capability.
- Support the Program Manager with the customer as the technical representative for the Program Team
- Develops, implements, and maintains methods, operation sequence and processes in the manufacture or fabrication of parts, components, sub-assemblies, and final assemblies
- Estimates manufacturing cost and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines
- Implements continual improvement projects based on lean manufacturing principles
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards
- Using lean concepts acts as a project engineer to implement cost reduction efforts
- Develops manufacturing engineering plans and strategies for specific products and processes
- May provide leadership and/or direction to lower-level employees
- Contributes to the completion of major programs and projects
- Works under limited direction
- Occasional travel may be required
- Leads quality initiatives to determine extent of non-conformance, root cause, and corrective action
- Creates and documents procedures, bills of materials, process qualifications, work instructions, shop aids, routings, etc.
- Helps in the development of floor layouts
- Assists design engineering with design to cost and design for manufacturability / DFX input
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment, and professionally executes projects with little direction.
- Grasps and applies new information quickly.
- Has wide-ranging experience, uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Has mechanical aptitude and strong analytical ability to resolve technical issues, develop new products and develop creative and innovative ideas and solutions.
- Highly skilled in written and verbal communication, demonstrating strong proficiency in writing technical papers, proposals, and work instructions.
- Demonstrates history of leading an engineering project and team.
- Proficiency with solid modeling CAD tools (CATIA experience preferred) to create mechanical models and accompanying drawings a plus.
Our Commitment to You:
- An exciting career path with opportunities for continuous learning and development.
- Research oriented work, alongside award winning teams developing practical solutions for our nation’s security
- Competitive benefits, including 401k matching, flex time off, paid parental leave, healthcare benefits, health & wellness programs, employee resource and social groups, and more
- See more at gdmissionsystems.com/careers/why-work-for-us/benefits
This position is fully on site.
Target salary range: USD $88,600.00/Yr. - USD $98,200.00/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary. This job posting will remain open until the position is filled.
At General Dynamics Mission Systems, we rise to the challenge each day to ensure the safety of those that lead, serve, and protect the world we live in. We do this by making the world’s most advanced defense platforms even smarter. Our engineers redefine what’s possible and our manufacturing team brings it to life, building the brains behind the brawn on submarines, ships, combat vehicles, aircraft, satellites, and other advanced systems.
We pride ourselves in being a great place to work with this shared sense of purpose, committed to a diverse and exciting employee experience that drives innovation and creates a community where all feel welcome and a part of something amazing.
We offer highly competitive benefits and a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. To see more about our benefits, visit https://gdmissionsystems.com/careers/why-work-for-us/benefits
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran