Level 3 Aerospace Composite NDT Engineer
- Marion, VA, USA
- Required Clearance
- Secret, obtainable within reasonable time based on requirements
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Remote Option
- On-Site Full-Time
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems, Inc.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, or a related Science or Mathematics field. Also requires 10+ years of job-related experience, or a master’s degree plus 8 years of job-related experience.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable amount of time after hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
Imagine a world-class engineering environment. Now add a team of exceptional talent along with technologies that are so advanced they’re often classified. That’s what you’ll find at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Here you’ll lead amazing engineers as they invent the technologies, products and services that help our service members, intelligence analysts and first responders keep our nation safe. If you want the chance to lead, it’s time to bring your talent to General Dynamics Mission Systems.
We apply advanced technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, AR/VR, Cloud Native and Quantum Physics to solve our customers’ missions in cyber, RF, undersea, interstellar and everything in between.
We seek an experience and ethical Level 3 Aerospace Composite NDT Engineer to lead quality assurance teams that design, implement and maintain quality assurance protocols and methods for processing materials into partially finished or finished products. This involves designing methods and procedures for inspecting, testing, and evaluating the precision and accuracy of production processes, production equipment and finished products as well as identifying and leading continuous improvement activities within the project.
What you’ll experience:
- Technologies that aren’t just top-notch, they’re often top-secret
- A team of bold thinkers committed to exploring what’s next
- Opportunities to gain new knowledge - as it’s discovered
What you bring to the table:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience; or master’s degree plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
- Current ASNT Level 3 Certification in Ultrasonics (Radiography Level 3 Film and Digital a plus)
- Exceptional use and understanding of domain (hardware, software, systems, logistics, manufacturing) methodologies, tools, and standards
- Exceptional knowledge of ISO 9001:2008, CMMI, ISO 14001ASME, ANSI, EIA, etc.
- Exceptional knowledge of use of relevant inspection/measurement tools and techniques
- Strong knowledge of government regulations
What sets you apart:
- Outstanding communication skills to interface with various engineering disciplines, manufacturing, senior leadership and our business development teams
- Recognized as an expert in your field
- Solid understanding and interpretation of contract language
- Ethical leadership to halt production and/or shipments when evidence suggests there may be quality problems which require resolution
- Excellent skills in reviewing documents/drawings/instructions for conformance to requirements techniques
In the Nondestructive Test Lab:
- Formulate NDT inspections procedures for customer approval
- Train and certify Level 1 and Level 2 technicians in ultrasonic inspection
- Maintain certification records
- Lead customer NDT audits and internal audits
- Develop and validate customer compliant ultrasonic calibration standards (composite)
- Maintain the company certification procedure compliant to NAS 410
- Oversee operation, maintenance and programming of ultrasonic C-scan equipment (Boeing AUSS 13 and two IRT Scan Master immersion systems)
- Order required NDT support equipment, maintenance and supplies
- Evaluate scope of work and provide bid estimates for NDT related work
- Represent the company in all aspects relating to NDT (interface with customers on NDI issues)
- Maintain VA State license for operation of three X-ray machines and associated X-ray vaults
- Oversee and support daily NDT operations for 6 NDI technicians supporting 10 current programs
- Calibrate ultrasonic flaw detectors and C-scan equipment mechanical accuracies
Target salary range: USD $143,000.00/Yr. - USD $155,000.00/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary. This job posting will remain open until the position is filled.
At General Dynamics Mission Systems, we rise to the challenge each day to ensure the safety of those that lead, serve, and protect the world we live in. We do this by making the world’s most advanced defense platforms even smarter. Our engineers redefine what’s possible and our manufacturing team brings it to life, building the brains behind the brawn on submarines, ships, combat vehicles, aircraft, satellites, and other advanced systems.
We pride ourselves in being a great place to work with this shared sense of purpose, committed to a diverse and exciting employee experience that drives innovation and creates a community where all feel welcome and a part of something amazing.
We offer highly competitive benefits and a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. To see more about our benefits, visit https://gdmissionsystems.com/careers/why-work-for-us/benefits
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran