Sr Manufacturing Engineer - 2
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering, or a related Science, Engineering or Mathematics field. Also requires 2+ years of job-related experience or a Master's degree.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Candidates must be able to obtain a Secret clearance within a reasonable amount of time from date of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer II - Shelters in the Composite Solutions business unit to support the tactical shelters product line. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. That’s the opportunity that’s waiting for you at General Dynamics Mission Systems. We help our nation’s heroes keep our nation safe by creating solutions so advanced, they redefine innovation for the world. It’s an amazing challenge. And it’s waiting for you now.
We will rely on your professional expertise to develop, implement, and maintain methods, operation sequences, and processes in the manufacturing or fabrication of parts, components, sub-assemblies, and final assemblies. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer will develop strong communications with internal teams to estimate manufacturing costs, and make recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
The position is responsible for providing engineering support to all aspects of the tactical shelters product line from design and development through start-up, production, integration and test.
- Provides engineering support to manufacturing/operations in the manufacture of tactical shelters.
- Develops manufacturing BOMs, work flow routers, work instructions for new designs and build to print projects.
- Develops tooling approaches and assists with tool design and fabrication efforts for new product builds.
- Analyzes and develops processes for manufacturing tolerance control.
- Embraces continuous improvement in developing, documenting, evaluating, and implementing safety, environmental, and cost improvement ideas.
- Creates technical training documentation and conducts training with manufacturing operators.
- Provides technical disposition and root cause and corrective action responses to nonconforming hardware.
- Supports design and development of military tactical shelters covering such areas as detail fabrication, bonding of honeycomb / aluminum skin sandwich panels, mechanical assembly, and basic lighting and power systems.
- Researches and analyzes data, such as customer design proposals, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Supports the development of technical data packages by coordinating with CAD designers to address customer requirements, producibility, and unit production cost.
- Uses creative and innovative approaches along with advanced decision-making skills to meet program and project cost and schedule requirements.
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Presents a professional appearance and effective communication skills while working with various departments across the company, senior managers, and with external customers (DOD and prime contractors) and subcontractors to address all technical requirements.
- Mentors lower labor grades in mechanical principles and project performance.
- Occasional travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment, and professionally executes projects.
- Has mechanical aptitude and strong analytical ability to resolve technical issues, develop new products and develop creative and innovative ideas and solutions.
- Highly skilled in written and verbal communication, demonstrating strong proficiency in writing technical papers, proposals, and work instructions.
- Capability with solid modeling CAD tools to create mechanical models and accompanying drawings a plus.
Target salary range: USD $81,200.00/Yr. - USD $90,200.00/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran