Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering, or a related Science, Engineering or Mathematics field. Also requires 2+ years of job-related experience or a Master's degree.
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Candidates must be able to obtain a Secret clearance within a reasonable amount of time from date of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Manufacturing Engineer 3 - Composites, supporting the Aerostructures Product Area. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Experience processing composite materials (primarily hand lay-up) highly desired
- Work with program team to ensure all technical requirements are being met for the customer
- Responsible for engineering content, cost, schedule, performance on the program
- On new development programs interface with all engineering disciplines and other functions during product development phase through production startup
- Work closely with Operations during production transition to establish process capability.
- Support the Program Manager with the customer as the technical representative for the Program Team
- Develops, implements, and maintains methods, operation sequence and processes in the manufacture or fabrication of parts, components, sub-assemblies, and final assemblies
- Estimates manufacturing cost and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines
- Implements continual improvement projects based on lean manufacturing principles
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards
- Using lean concepts acts as a project engineer to implement cost reduction efforts
- Develops manufacturing engineering plans and strategies for specific products and processes
- May provide leadership and/or direction to lower-level employees
- Contributes to the completion of major programs and projects
- Works under limited direction
- Occasional travel may be required
- Leads quality initiatives to determine extent of non-conformance, root cause, and corrective action
- Creates and documents procedures, bills of materials, process qualifications, work instructions, shop aids, routings, etc.
- Helps in the development of floor layouts
- Assists design engineering with design to cost and design for manufacturability / DFX input
Target salary range: USD $85,300.00/Yr. - USD $94,700.00/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran