Materials & Process Engineer - Composites
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree.
Department of Defense Secret Security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Materials & Process Engineer - Composites. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Lead the development of strategic tasks or small projects by applying engineering and organizational knowledge and expertise to achieve technical goals
- Support Production Program root cause investigations relating to materials and processes, and recommend solutions
- Support Development Program qualification testing, including writing test plans, supporting on site testing, and writing test reports
- Support Internal Research and Development projects
- Understand and interpret the technical, organizational and process aspects of the tasks assigned and relate them to the technical needs of the overall project or organization
- Plan and execute small projects or task elements within larger projects, organizations, or for groups of projects
- Responsible for the completion of assigned engineering tasks or small projects within budgetary and scheduling guidelines
- Actively identify technical and organizational risks and ensure that they are included in risk mitigation plans
- Participate in the proposal process including preparation of cost estimates and technical writing
- Participate in feasibility studies and testing of new and modified designs
- Travel will be required (infrequent to 10%)
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with polymer matrix composite manufacturing processes including hand lay-up/autoclave cure, adhesive bonding, and resin transfer molding (RTM)
- Knowledge of the polymer chemistry of epoxy, bismaleimide (BMI), polyimide, and cyanate ester resins as they relate to the processing of pre-impregnated fabrics and unidirectional tapes commonly used in fiber-reinforced composite structure and adhesive systems
- Experience with developing and writing process specifications and work instructions for composite fabrication operations
- Experience with composites materials testing and qualification methods, both mechanical and thermal
- Knowledge of chemical surface treatments and processes involved in both electroless plating and electroplating on non-metallic surfaces, photosensitive resist application, and metal etching in an industrial environment
- Experience in implementing new processes, documentation, quality/process controls, and operator training
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications; detail oriented
- Analytic and problem solving skills
- Experience with coatings a plus
Target salary range: USD $90,900.00/Yr. - USD $100,900.00/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran