Composite Tooling Engineer
Basic QualificationsRequires a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering, or a related Science, Engineering or Mathematics field. Also requires 8+ years of job-related experience, or a Master's degree plus 6 years of job-related experience.
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: [Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire.] Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Composite Tooling Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
• Responsible for the design of composite/metal tooling in support of the construction of composite structures in the military and commercial aerospace field.
- Work with designers to complete tool drawing/models.
- Coordinate with internal and external manufacturing shops to manufacture tools.
- Ability to write shop work orders in a clear and understandable manner.
- Position may require travel to suppliers for tool buy-off
- Position may require travel to customer locations to present design reviews.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots and provides technical skills during research and/or tool/product development
• Determines, monitors, and reviews costs, operational budgets and schedules, and manpower requirements
• Formulates and recommends corrective action measures such as schedule revisions, manpower adjustments, fund allocations, and work requirements
• Leads small continuous process improvement efforts
• Maintains records, compiles reports, graphs, charts and related data in support of projects
• Participates in the tactical planning for completion of identified project segment
• Provides mentoring and direction to less experienced personnel
• Supports all required Engineering reviews, Gathers and organizes data for review with appropriate engineer(s) in support of project
• Supports proposal efforts as requested
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Proficient in the use of CAD, preferably Catia V5 CAD system for 3D modeling and 2D drafting
Proficient in the use GD&T, with the ability to calculate tolerance stack assessments.
Knowledge of welding requirements per AWS.
Familiarity with CNC machining, and general machine shop practices
Knowledge in using composite tooling materials
Ability to compensate for the CTE differences between different materials
Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications
Verbal and written communication skills including ability to prepare and present technical briefings to senior management and customers
Proficient in MS Office applications – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Able to solve multiple issues within domain of expertise across multiple engineering disciplines
Considered expert in field within the organization
Contributes to the development of new concepts, techniques, and standards
Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills
Demonstrates an excellent pattern of continuous learning
Determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may coordinate activities of other personnel
Develops solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation
Ensures solutions are consistent with organization objectives
Exercises excellent latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment
Exercises excellent judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise
Work is performed without appreciable direction
Target salary range: USD $135,900.00/Yr. - USD $150,900.00/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran