Chief Engineer for Airborne Composites & Structures (ACS)
- Marion, VA, USA
- Required Clearance
- Secret, obtainable within reasonable time based on requirements
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Remote Option
- Hybrid (Part-Time Remote)
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems, Inc.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, or a related Science, Engineering or Mathematics field. Also requires 15+ years of job-related experience, or a Master's degree plus 13 years of job-related experience.
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
Are you ready to lead the way in cutting-edge technology? As the Chief Engineer for Airborne Composites & Structures (ACS), you'll bring your extensive technical expertise to drive the advancement of our R&D initiatives, develop technical strategies and product innovations, lead technical responses to proposals, and mentor the next generation of engineers. As a Senior Deputy Member of our technical staff, you'll oversee complex technology development, manage design processes, and be recognized as an expert in your field. For more of what we do with radomes out of Marion...please see General Dynamics Ultra-Wideband Radome (UWB) on Vimeo
As the Chief Engineer for Airborne Composites & Structures (ACS), you will...
- Work directly with Business Development on strategy, have regular interface with Government sponsor, industry partners, and key Laboratory program and technical staff on activities related to radome design and analysis
- Provide technical response to government and commercial proposals
- Collaborate with other GDMS Chief Engineers across GDMS LoBs.
- Develop technical strategies, roadmaps and product development
- Lead studies and research activities to advance the state of the art in fields such as radome survivability and RF performance and integrated thermal-structural analysis
- Provide technical contributions and leadership in designing and analyzing new radome structures to the development of strike weapon systems in the relevant areas such as analysis, modeling and simulation, hardware, integration, test and evaluation. Produce written documents and presentations of technical work
- Mentor engineer team members
- As the Senior Deputy Member of our Technical Staff (DMTS), you’ll apply advanced principles of engineering and management to solve complex problems in the development of technology.
- As a leader, you’ll oversee and manage design and development processes as they relate to the engineering of products utilizing principles and technology of physics, mathematics, engineering, and related physical sciences.
- Leads resolution of “hard” engineering problems, technical issues & risks as required during program execution
- Position requires approximately +/- 40% travel
- Support both Marion, VA and Cullman, AL facilities
- 65% RF knowledge (Radome Design and Analysis preferred)
- 25% Composites
- 10% Exotic Metals (complex Beryllium structures, optical components and systems)
- It’s engineering that sets the standard for the world. Are you ready?
Why You Should Consider This Role:
- Cutting-Edge Technology: Your role will be instrumental in shaping the future business direction of these cutting-edge technologies.
- Rewarding Benefits: We offer competitive pay, 3-year retention bonuses, excellent benefits, and a work-life balance that enables you to thrive in your career while enjoying your personal life.
- Career Growth: This is more than a job; it's an opportunity to advance your career. You'll lead studies and research activities to advance the state of the art in fields such as radome survivability, RF performance, and integrated thermal-structural analysis.
- Innovation Hub: You'll provide technical contributions and leadership in designing and analyzing new radome structures for next-generation platforms. Your work will span areas such as analysis, modeling and simulation, hardware, integration, test and evaluation.
- Mentorship: You'll have the chance to mentor engineer team members, contributing to their growth and the overall success of our projects.
Join us in Marion, VA, where outdoor adventures await, and big cities are a short drive away. We offer a competitive salary range of USD $200,000.00/Yr. - $210,000.00/Yr.
Are you ready to set the standard for the world with your engineering expertise?
- This position is ON-SITE in Marion, VA.
- A Hybrid work schedule may be available but will require a minimum of 3 day's per week on-site.
- Relocation assistance and/or sign on bonuses may be available.
MARION, VA area:
- Marion is nestled in the Virginia Highlands, abounding in beautiful countryside. State parks in all directions, it is an outdoor paradise for anyone who enjoys camping, hiking, fishing, kayaking, hunting, and/or just the simple pleasure of being outside amongst natural beauty. The Appalachian Trail runs through town and Mt. Rogers is an easy daytrip.
- Big city attractions are at a comfortable distance. Blacksburg, VA, Charlotte, NC, Knoxville, TN, and Bristol Motor Speedway are all within a two-to-three-hour drive.
- The small size of Marion yields shortened commute times. In-town commutes average around ten to fifteen minutes. Nearby towns, such as, Abingdon and Wytheville provide increased housing options while maintaining a benign commute of less than an hour.
Target salary range: USD $200,000.00/Yr. - USD $210,000.00/Yr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary. This job posting will remain open until the position is filled.
At General Dynamics Mission Systems, we rise to the challenge each day to ensure the safety of those that lead, serve, and protect the world we live in. We do this by making the world’s most advanced defense platforms even smarter. Our engineers redefine what’s possible and our manufacturing team brings it to life, building the brains behind the brawn on submarines, ships, combat vehicles, aircraft, satellites, and other advanced systems.
We pride ourselves in being a great place to work with this shared sense of purpose, committed to a diverse and exciting employee experience that drives innovation and creates a community where all feel welcome and a part of something amazing.
We offer highly competitive benefits and a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. To see more about our benefits, visit https://gdmissionsystems.com/careers/why-work-for-us/benefits
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran