Advanced Systems Engineer
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, or a related Science, Engineering or Mathematics field. Also requires 5+ years of job-related experience, or a Master's degree plus 3 years of job-related experience. Agile experience preferred.
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for an Advanced Systems Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. Our employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Performs requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification), validation and interface definition studies of subsystem or system elements under supervision of the lead systems engineer
- Performs technical planning, cost and risk analyses, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for subsystems and system elements
- Performs customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (elements and components)
- Performs detailed technical analyses for a subsystem or system elements
- Develops and evaluates systems, networks and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable governmental security specifications
- May provide system accreditation/certification evaluation and test support to ensure all technical security features (e.g., identification, authentication, access control, labeling, and auditing) of the system are considered and function properly
- May develop system security documentation on both new and fielded information systems
- Participates in Modeling and Simulation
- Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Supports the generation of technical engineering products by using the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle
- May provide leadership and/or direction to lower level employees
- Independently determines proposed approach to solutions
- Contributes to the completion of major programs and projects
- Plans and executes project tasks for activities described above
- Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills.
- Defines processes for technical platforms, system specifications, input/output and working parameters for hardware and/or software compatibility.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Designs a complete and complex framework, system or product.
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses.
- Regular contact with senior levels of internal work groups
- Works under limited direction
- Contact with Deputy Program Managers Engineering (DPME) and other professionals within the Engineering department and with project teams across the company
- Frequent contact with external customers
- Travel may be required
- Security clearance may be required
- Provides resolution to a diverse range of complex problems
- Independently determines approach to solutions
- Keeps abreast of technology trends
- Contributes to the achievement of business objectives
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Update HSEP Access data base with HSEP test results
- Perform analysis on test site data
- Prepare presentations to discuss results with the government
- Act as the Minuteman technical specialist for HSEP
- Help resolve Minuteman issues in conjunction with the HSEP field crew
- Travel to HSEP Minuteman test sites to support HSEP testing
- Coordinate transfer of data shipments with the HSEP field team
- Fully proficient use and understanding of systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- Fully proficient knowledge of other related disciplines
- Fully proficient with requirements management & system modeling tools
- Recognizes various architectural patterns
- Fully proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Fully proficient written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to sell concepts and ideas
- Creative thinker
- Ability to multi-task
- Fully proficient ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and effectively handle complex assignments
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
- Fully proficient ability in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Fully proficient ability to clearly report relevant to sound systems engineering design
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
As a contractor to the Federal Government, General Dynamics Mission Systems must comply with the federal mandate requiring our workforce be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 by January 4, 2022, with only very limited exceptions for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs.