Advanced Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
- Required Clearance
- Secret, obtainable within reasonable time based on requirements
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Working knowledge of mgt. systems standards and related auditing is strongly desired (ISO9001; AS9100; ISO14001 / OHSAS18001), but not required, provided candidate is capable of learning those aspects of the position.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
At General Dynamics Mission Systems, we create the technologies, products and services that help our nation’s heroes keep our nation safe. The work we do is so advanced, we are continuously moving the boundaries of what’s possible. Here you’ll work with the best and your talent will be front and center on projects that impact the world. Are you up to the challenge?
We apply advanced technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, AR/VR, Cloud Native and Quantum Physics to solve our customers’ missions in cyber, RF, undersea, interstellar and everything in between.
Developing, implementing, and monitoring site(s) level environmental, health and safety programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health, and safety regulations, the Advanced Environmental Health and Safety Specialist will have the opportunity to help our nation’s heroes make a true impact. You’ll monitor environmental compliance to site permits and licenses. You’ll conduct management systems internal audits as well as to assure, where appropriate, the EHS management systems standards are being properly implemented (ISO14001/OHASAS18001) at sites within their purview. We’ll rely on you to recommend corrective action where environmental health and safety hazards exist. It’s a challenge that will put your talent in the spotlight.
Keeping people safe worldwide is what we do. Developing mission-critical systems is how we do it. At General Dynamics Mission Systems, you’ll be part of the team that helps heroes make a true impact. The work we do is important. The challenges we face are career-defining. The opportunity we can offer is one-of-a-kind. General Dynamics Mission Systems has an opening for an Advanced Environmental Health and Safety Specialist.
Duties and Tasks:
In addition to the above, working knowledge of management systems standards and related auditing is strongly desired (ISO9001; AS9100; ISO14001 / OHSAS18001), but not required, provided candidate is capable of learning those aspects of the position.
- Develops, implements, and monitors site(s) level environmental, health and safety programs
and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health, and
- Monitors environmental compliance to site permits and licenses
- Conducts management systems internal audits as well as to assure, where appropriate, the EHS mgt. systems standards are being properly implemented (ISO14001/OHASAS18001) at sites
within their purview
- Assists in planning for changes in physical facilities to meet new environmental requirements
- Performs periodic safety inspections, monitors hazardous waste removal vendors, and may assist in consolidating hazardous wastes (chemical, radioactive, and/or medical)
- Participates in and may be called upon to perform internal audits of various mgt. systems in GDMS
- Interacts with a variety of departments on topics ranging from training, haz waste mgt., ergonomics, facility renovations, life safety, and related OSHA / EPA programs
- Develops, implements & evaluates EHS education, training & awareness programs
- May assist in preparing as well as being accountable for implementing EHS policies, procedures, processes and guidelines
- Recommends corrective action where environmental health and safety hazards exist
- May be asked to interact with others in the administration of the worker’s compensation program and the implementation of workplace ergonomics and program solutions
- Monitors industrial health compliance
- Interfaces with outside regulatory agencies such as OSHA, DOT, EPA
- May serve as mentor to new team members
- May be asked to participate in goal setting for functional area
- Subject matter expert in one discipline/field and developing working knowledge in adjacent disciplines/fields
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A seasoned, experienced professional with a full undefrstanding of area of specialization
- Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
- Fully proficient and able to perform all responsibilities associated with the position
- Grasps and applies new information quickly; handles more complex assignments
- Fully proficient in use of databases / Microsoft Office Suite
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors
- Demonstrates fully proficient judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise
- Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills
- May provide work direction to other employees or lead team projects with other staff members
- Fully proficient ability to effectively disseminate & coordinate information across various organizational levels
- Deals regularly with support functions within the division
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran