Advanced EHS Specialist SkillBridge Military Intern
- Required Clearance
- Secret, obtainable within reasonable time based on requirements
- Employment Type
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems
DoD SkillBridge Eligibility:
- Has served at least 180 days on active duty
- Is within 1 month of separation or retirement
- Will receive an honorable discharge
- Has taken any service TAPS/TGPS
- Has attended or participated in an ethics brief within the last 12 months
- Received Unit Commander (first O-4/Field Grade commander in chain of command) written authorization and approval to participate in DoD SkillBridge Program prior to start of internship.
- Meets DoD SkillBridge Qualifications as per DODI 1322.29.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Responsibilities for this Position
If you’re looking for a chance to experience civilian life and continue your mission to support our nation, then the General Dynamics Mission Systems Military Internship Program is the amazing challenge you’re looking for! At General Dynamics Mission Systems, you’ll learn from the best, those teams that create the technologies, products and services that help our nation’s heroes keep our nation safe.
We are operating as an approved DoD SkillBridge Organization in accordance with Department of Defense Instruction 1322.29. GDMS is honored to assist our military and has specifically designed our internships to prepare participants for their transition to civilian life.
The GDMS Military Internship program is open to all ranks, enlisted or officer, may apply. Participants are not eligible for compensation from the company, as they continue to receive military compensation and benefits as active-duty service members. A GDMS Military Internship, whether entry or mid-level, is an opportunity for individuals to gain valuable civilian experience through specific industry training during their last 6 months of service, for up to 180 days. Participation in GDMS’s Military Internship Program is voluntary, Service member-initiated, and must be authorized by the individual’s chain of command prior to the start of the internship. Successful completion of all necessary company agreements and documentation will also be required.
This program is being afforded to both active duty Military Members of all supporting branches and Military Spouses. You will job-shadow and learn from experienced leaders and other smart, motivated people. This program will help you develop best in class skills on mission critical work.
Keeping people safe worldwide is what we do. Developing mission-critical systems is how we do it. At General Dynamics Mission Systems, you’ll be part of the team that helps heroes make a true impact. The work we do is important. The challenges we face are career-defining. The opportunity we can offer is one-of-a-kind. General Dynamics Mission Systems has an opening for an Advanced EHS Specialist SkillBridge Military Intern.
Duties and Tasks:
In addition to the above, working knowledge of management systems standards and related auditing is strongly desired (ISO9001; AS9100; ISO14001 / OHSAS18001), but not required, provided candidate is capable of learning those aspects of the position.
- Develops, implements, and monitors site(s) level environmental, health and safety programs
and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health, and
- Monitors environmental compliance to site permits and licenses
- Conducts management systems internal audits as well as to assure, where appropriate, the EHS mgt. systems standards are being properly implemented (ISO14001/OHASAS18001) at sites
within their purview
- Assists in planning for changes in physical facilities to meet new environmental requirements
- Performs periodic safety inspections, monitors hazardous waste removal vendors, and may assist in consolidating hazardous wastes (chemical, radioactive, and/or medical)
- Participates in and may be called upon to perform internal audits of various mgt. systems in GDMS
- Interacts with a variety of departments on topics ranging from training, haz waste mgt., ergonomics, facility renovations, life safety, and related OSHA / EPA programs
- Develops, implements & evaluates EHS education, training & awareness programs
- May assist in preparing as well as being accountable for implementing EHS policies, procedures, processes and guidelines
- Recommends corrective action where environmental health and safety hazards exist
- May be asked to interact with others in the administration of the worker’s compensation program and the implementation of workplace ergonomics and program solutions
- Monitors industrial health compliance
- Interfaces with outside regulatory agencies such as OSHA, DOT, EPA
- May serve as mentor to new team members
- May be asked to participate in goal setting for functional area
- Subject matter expert in one discipline/field and developing working knowledge in adjacent disciplines/fields
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization
- Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
- Fully proficient and able to perform all responsibilities associated with the position
- Grasps and applies new information quickly; handles more complex assignments
- Fully proficient in use of databases / Microsoft Office Suite
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors
- Demonstrates fully proficient judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise
- Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills
- May provide work direction to other employees or lead team projects with other staff members
- Fully proficient ability to effectively disseminate & coordinate information across various organizational levels
- Deals regularly with support functions within the division
Intern program participants will receive training and job-shadowing opportunities to gain skills to meet the specific needs of the organization and will be prepared to meet the GDMS mission in “providing smarter mission critical systems and products to defense, civil government, intelligence and cybersecurity customers”. This program provides a comprehensive internship experience including professional development, networking with leadership, and training specifically focused on GDMS leadership expectations, company history, customer / stakeholder engagement, product and service overview, and core job responsibilities. Outcome – Offer transitioning service members a rewarding opportunity to learn from the General Dynamics Mission Systems team.
Keeping people safe worldwide is what we do. Developing mission-critical systems is how we do it. At General Dynamics Mission Systems, you’ll be part of the team that helps heroes make a true impact. The work we do is important. The challenges we face are career-defining. The opportunity we can offer is one-of-a-kind.